Researchers, clinicians, engineers, and others across the Brigham and other organizations collaborated with record speed to develop solutions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, including these five:
- B-PROTECTED testing booth: The booth allows staff to safely administer a diagnostic test and preserve personal protective equipment.
- 3D-printed face shields: Teaming with academic and industry partners, Brigham employees developed a 3D-printed face shield that offers greater protection than traditional shields.
- Silicone reusable mask prototypes: Innovators from the Brigham and academia created an N95 mask alternative made of silicone that can fit faces of different sizes and be sterilized for reuse.
- In-house COVID-19 testing: Investigators created an in-house test with results within 24 hours for patients who have been admitted with suspected COVID-19.
- At-home testing: TestBoston is a large research study conducting free, monthly at-home COVID-19 testing on 10,000 individuals in Boston-area communities hit hardest by the virus.